‘You are quiet like the night, and like the night, you are starlit’ wrote the famous Chilean Pablo Neruda in one of his love poems. So as you arrive here, prepare for light, dark, and colour in all shapes, forms, reflections and refractions. The black rock of the Andes Mountains runs all the way down this thin, elongated country, set off by the dazzling white snow on its peaks. This is the place of orange copper mines and vibrant blue skies. Of the flame-like red flowers of the Chilean firetree bush. Of black night sky peppered by brilliant, luminous stars, seen from the incredible Atacama Desert. Of deep green vegetation in the lush wine-growing regions and national parks. Of the weather-beaten grey of the moai, the mysterious and monolithic Easter Island statues.
Chile with its dramatic history is a good place for poetry, imagination, and dreamers. But it is also a highly organised and efficient modern Latin American country, and one that knows how to make a visitor feel at home. Above all, the amazing natural habitat, with its towering peaks, deep green valleys, glaciers and deserts, icebergs and fjords, lets you know that this is not a place for half measures. You have to jump right in to experience adventure tourism at its best.
Start creating your tailor-made tour to Chile
Tailor-make your itinerary in Chile to include the spectacular Torres del Paine national park, the southern lake district and wine tours in Central Valley. To start creating your ideal, tailor-made tour to Chile, please complete and send this form. Our Chilean trusted tour operator will be in touch shortly:
Alternatively, have a look at some of our unforgettable Chile tours:
– Atacama Desert Tour: Atacama Desert, Santiago and Valparaiso
– Mystical Chile Tour: Atacama Desert, Huasco Coast (whale-watching), Santiago and Valparaiso
– The Incredible Argentina & Chile Adventure: Buenos Aires, Iguazu Falls, Salta, Quebrada de Humahuaca, Crossing the Andes Mountain Range, Atacama Desert, Santiago and Valparaiso
– The Chilean Andes & Chiloe Tour: Lake District, Chiloe Island, Santiago and Valparaiso
– Journey to the End of the World – Patagonia Tour: Buenos Aires, Peninsula Valdes, Punta Tombo, Ushuaia, El Calafate (Perito Moreno Glacier), Bariloche (Argentina) and Torres del Paine (Chile).
– The Easter Island Adventure: Santiago, Valparaiso and Easter Island
– Chile & Argentina Lake District Tour: Bariloche, Lanin, San Martin de los Andes (Argentina), Curarrehue, Pucon, Valparaiso, Santiago (Chile), Mendoza (Argentina)
Stargazing around La Serena
Enjoy some of the most incredible night skies in the world around La Serena.
Day 1: La Serena Astronomy (B/-/-)
Transfer from Vallenar to La Serena where a cab will be waiting for you to take you to your comfortable hotel in town. In the evening you’ll be picked up for your small group excursion to the Mamalluca Observatory, where you will be able to enjoy some of the most beautiful night skies in the world. Return to the hotel at approximately midnight.
Day 2: Vicuña Astronomy (B/-/-)
After lunch, take public transport to the nearby city of Vicuña (approx 1 hour), in the Elqui Valley. Check in at your hotel and enjoy the tranquillity of the town. In the evening you’ll meet your small group for an excursion to the Pangue Observatory. Return to the town before midnight and walk back to your accommodation (don’t worry, it is totally safe here!).
Day 3: To the Huasco Coast (B/-/-)
After an early breakfast, take a bus back to La Serena from Vicuña Bus Terminal. From there you can continue your tour to the Huasco Coast.