The Easter Island Adventure
This Easter Island tour opens the door for you to discover the enigmatic history of this most mysterious of islands. You’ll explore its landscapes and experience the power of the iconic Moai figures that have gazed out across the Pacific for centuries. You’ll also visit Chile’s dynamic capital Santiago, wander the charming streets of Valparaiso and get to know local communities in the places that you visit.
- Explore Chile’s thriving capital Santiago and find out about its tumultuous past
- Meet a Mapuche community in the city and see how ancient and modern cultures collide
- Visit the UNESCO protected seaside town of Valparaiso and explore its picturesque streets
- Savour the traditional flavours of Chile in a traditional restaurant
- Fly across the Pacific Ocean to discover the landscapes and history of Easter Island
- Walk amongst the iconic Moai figures and soak up the atmosphere of this ancient place
- Meet local Easter Island artisans and talk to them about life on the island
- Soak in a beautiful thermal hot spring high in the Andes Mountains
This is a private tour and you will be accompanied by an English-speaking local guide during all excursions and throughout your time on Easter Island. The price displayed is per person based on two people sharing. All of tours can be tailor-made to suit your interests and requirements.
Easter Island lives in the collective consciousness as a mysterious realm outside of time. No one really knows why the enigmatic Moai figures were built there, but there is no escaping the power of their presence there on the edge of Easter Island, gazing west across the Pacific. On this trip you’ll find out all there is to know about the history and legends of the island, originally known as Rapa Nui by its people. You’ll also see how history meets the modern world by meeting local Rapa Nui people and seeing how they produce their traditional handicrafts and make a living on this remote Polynesian island.
You’ll begin your trip in the cosmopolitan capital Santiago, with its rich history and refined culture. The city sits on the edge of the Andes and is flanked by fertile valleys that are perfect for wine growing. Wine enthusiasts may well want to add a tour of the vineyards to their trip itinerary. As well as taking a guided tour you’ll learn about the tumultuous history of the city and meet local Mapuche community who have made their home in the capital.
Valparaiso is a charismatic seaside town with a distinctive atmosphere. It has been made a UNESCO World Heritage Site on account of its dramatic architecture and character. Brightly painted houses cling to steep cliff faces and the port is busy with fishing boats and colourful local life. You’ll spend a day exploring the town, meeting the locals and dining in a private restaurant that specialises in a traditional local restaurant. Foodies prepare for some brand new and unique flavours!
From Valparaiso you’ll return to Santiago and then take your flight to Easter Island. Throughout the trip you’ll be gaining a unique insight into modern-day Chile and its recent and ancient past. You’ll be guided by local people throughout and have the privilege of getting to know a fascinating cross-section of Chile’s people. The tour winds up with a relaxing day soaking in some beautiful thermal hot springs high in the Andes Mountains.
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/sumaktra/public_html/wp-content/themes/sumak-new/functions.php on line 455
- Trip duration: 10 days
- Countries visited: Chile
Medium: Accommodation in B&Bs or 2-star family-run hotels (always in a private room).
Note: this is a guideline; please refer to the tour detailed description for what is and is not included.
- Level of difficulty: Low
- Accommodation: 5 nights at a hotel in Santiago, 4 nights at a hotel on Easter Island
- Transport: Internal flights, private car, public transportation, coach trip to Valparaiso.
- Meals included: 9 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 3 boxed lunches, 1 dinner
Percentage of cost going to local communities:
At least 25%
- Bilingual guide: Available in English, French or Spanish
- Extra services:
- Additional information: You will be greeted at the airport on arrival by a local guide who will take you to your hotel and will be able to answer any questions, make any additional arrangements and generally ensure everything goes smoothly. No minimum number of passengers required and you will not be travelling with a group of people you do not know. Prices quoted are per person and based on at least 2 people travelling. You should expect a cheaper price for bigger groups. Your passport is required at time of booking. For information on visa requirements, immunisations and health formalities please visit the FCO Travel Advice Website or the US Travel Advice Website (direct links to Chile page) Information on money changing in each destination, as well as what it is customary to tip for various services, will be provided. This tour of Chile, like most of our adventures through Latin America, has a low level of physical difficulty and participants can choose to do as much or as little as they like. If you have any concerns or require special arrangements please call or email us to discuss. What to bring: Travel insurance, passport, binoculars, alarm clock, walking shoes, water bottle, daypack, sun protection, insect repellent, sun glasses and hat, swimwear, flip-flops, torch with extra batteries.
- Best time to travel: All year round
- Extra budget recommended: Around £300 / $350 pp to cover meals and all other expenses not included in the itinerary.
- What is included: Welcome reception at the airport. Transfers (some may be shared) and internal flights. Overland transport. Accommodation. Entrance fees to sites of interest, museums and national parks mentioned in the itinerary. Guided activities and excursions with English speaking guides (some private, some as part of a small group). Meals as stated in the itinerary (B= Breakfast, L= Lunch, D= Dinner). Contributions to the social projects visited. Donation to help in preserving the Amazon rainforest through agro-forestry and education.
- What is not included: Flights from your country of origin. Travel insurance. Alcoholic drinks. Additional meals or snacks. Travel within and around each town. Visa fees (if any). Tips. Souvenirs. Entrance fee to Rapa Nui National Park ($US 80).
The Easter Island Adventure
£ 2,230 GBP
This Easter Island tour opens the door for you to discover the enigmatic history of this most mysterious of islands. You’ll explore its landscapes and experience the power of the iconic Moai figures that have gazed out across the Pacific for centuries. You’ll also visit Chile’s dynamic capital Santiago, wander the picturesque streets of Valparaiso and get to know the local communities in the places that you visit.