Essential Bolivia Tour
This enlightening Bolivia tour is designed to give you the experience of three outstanding and very different landscapes.
- Get to know dramatic La Paz, one of the highest cities in the world, nestling under the snow-capped peaks of the Illimani Mountain
- See mysterious Lake Titicaca, mythical home of Inca and pre-Incan cultures
- Visit the Aymara communities on Lake Titicaca’s Sun Island, and discover their ancient Andean culture
- Travel to the stark and spectacular salt flats at Uyuni
- Discover abundant nature in the Bolivian rainforest near Rurrenabaque, one of the most bio-diverse places on the planet, where you will stay in an ecolodge built and managed by an indigenous community
This is a private tour and you will be accompanied by an English-speaking local guide throughout your time on Sun Island, the Uyuni Salt Flats and the Amazon Rainforest. The price displayed is per person based on two people sharing. All of our tours can be tailor-made to suit your interests and requirements.
The 4-day tour of the Amazon Rainforest (including flights) represents 50% of the price. If you prefer not to include it we can suggest other destinations instead.
This very special ecotour of an amazing country is divided into three different phases, each giving you a different insight into the local culture and environment.
In La Paz you’ll see the unique mix of western and indigenous cultures, forged through centuries of political and economic struggles. This is a breathtaking city, one of the highest capital cities in the world, and is built in a bowl surrounded by the Andean mountains. Here, you’ll experience the country’s rich and revolutionary history.
From the urban sprawl of the capital, you’ll then visit the incredible Lake Titicaca, the cradle of both Incan and pre-Incan civilisations. Here you will see dramatic landscapes and ancestral ruins, and meet local indigenous communities on sacred islands in the lake. From Lake Titicaca you will travel to the largest salt-flats in the world, an extraordinary landscape of white salt, blue sky and thousand-year-old cacti. Here too you will meet indigenous communities who will explain their culture and traditions, and the way in which they are developing sustainable eco-tourism.
Finally, in the third chapter of this memorable tour, you will travel to one of the world’s largest national parks, staying with local inhabitants in an ecolodge, and learning about the area’s tropical rainforest, bio-diversity and medicinal plants. This part of your tour will include both day and night-time hikes through the jungle.
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/sumaktra/public_html/wp-content/themes/sumak-new/functions.php on line 455
- Trip duration: 13 days
- Countries visited: Bolivia
Adventure: Accommodation in hostels (always in a private room) and B&Bs, and sometimes in hammocks, rustic cabins or tents. Internal transport is overland rather than by plane wherever possible.
Note: this is a guideline; please refer to the tour detailed description for what is and is not included.
- Level of difficulty: Low
- Accommodation: 3 nights in a hotel in La Paz, 1 night in a hotel in Copacabana, 1 night in a community guest house on Sun Island, 2 overnight bus journey (with comfortable reclining seats), 2 nights in hostels in the Uyuni Salt Flat, 3 nights in an ecolodge in the Amazon.
- Transport: Private car, boat, airplane, coach.
- Meals included: 12 breakfasts, 8 lunches, 7 dinners
Percentage of cost going to local communities:
At least 50%
- Bilingual guide: Available in English, French and Italian
- Extra services:
You will be greeted at La Paz airport by a local guide who will escort you to your hotel, answer questions, make any additional arrangements and generally ensure that your trip goes smoothly.
There is no minimum number required for this tour and you will not be travelling with a group of people you’ve never met before. Prices quoted are per person and based on at least two people travelling. You should expect a cheaper price for bigger groups. Your passport details are required at the time of booking. For detailed information on visa requirements and health formalities, visit the FCO Travel Advice website (for UK citizens) and US Travel Advice website (for US citizens). You will need a Yellow Fever vaccination for travel to the Amazon. Yellow fever vaccines are recommended for the Amazon and although a low risk malaria area, bite prevention is always recommended (long sleeves, insect repellent). This Bolivia tour, like most of our adventures through Latin America, has a low level of physical difficulty and participants can choose to do as much or as little as they like. If you have any concerns or require special arrangements please call or email us to discuss. What to bring: Travel insurance, passport, binoculars, alarm clock, walking shoes, water bottle, daypack, sun protection, insect repellent, sunscreen, sun glasses and hat, swimwear, flip-flops, torch with extra batteries, wind and waterproof jacket, warm clothes to layer, warm socks, fleece, hat, gloves, scarf, comfortable light cotton shirts with long and short sleeves, comfortable trousers made of cotton or a light synthetic material (bring at least two sets of light clothes which can be washed and dried easily), shorts, rain coat, camera, plastic ziplock bags, plastic bags for your luggage in case of rain.
- Best time to travel: To Bolivia it can be all year round, although when going to the Amazon Rainforest it is best to go between March and November.
- Extra budget recommended: Around £150/$200 pp to cover meals and all other expenses not included in the itinerary.
- What is included: Welcome reception at the airport. Transfers (some may be shared) and internal flights. Overland transport. Accommodation. Entrance fees to sites of interest, museums and national parks mentioned in the itinerary. Guided activities and excursions with English speaking guides (some private, some as part of a small group). Meals as stated in the itinerary (B= Breakfast, L= Lunch, D= Dinner). Contributions to the social projects visited. Donation to help in preserving the Amazon rainforest through agro-forestry and education.
- What is not included: Flights from your country of origin. Travel insurance. Alcoholic drinks. Additional meals or snacks. Travel within and around each town. Optional activities. Visa fees (if any). Tips. Souvenirs. $4 airport departure tax from the Amazon.
There is no minimum duration and you can take only the activities or destinations you want. To start creating your ideal, tailor-made tour to Bolivia, please complete and send this form. Our Bolivian partner will be in touch shortly:[contact-form-7 id="4233" title="Bolivia Form - Amaru Travel"]
Essential Bolivia Tour
£ 1,425 GBP
Visit three amazing and totally different landscapes in Bolivia. After a quick visit to La Paz, travel to Copacabana and Lake Titicaca to visit Sun Island and its ancient Inca ruins. Then stay with an Aymara community in Uyuni with its incredible salt flats. Finally adventure into the jungle at Rurrenabaque to stay in an ecolodge built and run by an indigenous community and experience one of the most bio-diverse places on the planet.