Into the Jungle – Brazilian Amazon Tour
This is one serious adventure, taking you deep into the Amazon Jungle to experience one of the most bio-diverse habitats on the planet. Switch gears completely as you travel from the jungle city of Manaus on a thirty-hour river boat journey up the Rio Negro to a pristine natural reserve. You’ll be staying with the river-dwelling ‘ribeirinho’ people of Xixuau, spending time with the locals, enjoying meals of tropical fruits and fresh line-caught fish, and discovering their way of life. You’ll also see an incredible array of wildlife, from pink river dolphins and sloths to tiny emerald-green tree frogs, brightly-coloured butterflies and armadillos.
- Fly into the remote jungle city of Manaus, which can only be reached by plane or by boat
- Journey down the mighty Rio Negro, one of the biggest tributaries of the Amazon River
- Relax in your hammock and watch iridescent dragonflies zip across the water at sunset
- Canoe through the glassy waters of the flooded forest to see tapir, sloths and alligators
- Dine on line-caught river fish, fresh tropical fruits and delicious Amazonian specialities
- Sunbathe on sandy river beaches and cool off in clear waters and natural river pools
- Learn how the indigenous people track animals and read the signs of the forest
- Take guided forest hikes to see an amazing array of tropical birds and wildlife
- Sleep in hammocks under the forest canopy and awake with the sunrise and the morning chorus
- Spend time fishing, harvesting Brazil nuts and making handicrafts with the locals
This is a private tour (with some shared excursions) and you will be accompanied by local guides throughout. The price displayed is per person based on two people sharing. All tours can be tailor-made to suit your interests and requirements. We have some small group departures for this tour, please send an enquiry to find out about dates and prices.
Day 1: Arrival in Manaus (-/-/-)
You’ll be welcomed at the airport in the city of Manaus and driven to your comfortable hotel in the centre. The rest of the day is free for you to relax and acclimatize to the heat and humidity of this jungle city. Take an optional city tour or just relax at your hotel and take a stroll around the neighbourhood.
Day 2: River boat journey into the Amazon (B/L/D)
Enjoy a relaxed breakfast at your hotel. Late morning pick up for your transfer to the port to board your river boat. Today you’ll be embarking on a 30-40hour journey along the Rio Negro further into the Amazon Rainforest. On board you will sleep in either a private cabin or a hammock and all your meals will be included. Relax and enjoy the views as you head down the river and the sun begins to set over the water.
Day 3: Arrival at the Xixuau Eco-lodge (B/L/D)
At some point today, depending on conditions and travel time, you’ll arrive at the Xixuau lodge and village where you can meet your hosts, stretch your legs and settle in. You’ll enjoy a delicious meal with your hosts this evening and get a good night’s sleep. Accommodation is in round wooden malocas, comfortable palm-thatched huts built on stilts in the style of the neighbouring Waimiri-Atroari indigenous people. You can choose to sleep in either beds or hammocks during your stay in the Amazon.
Day 4: The Amazon - Xixuau Nature Reserve (B/L/D)
There are many activities to choose between at the lodge and you can build your itinerary upon arrival, depending on how you feel and the season. When the waters are high (March – Sep) you can paddle through the flooded forest and when the waters are low (Oct – Feb), you can relax on beautiful sandy beaches in the sun. The following is an example of the types of activities that you can enjoy. After a long boat journey you can choose to relax in the village for the day, watching the (very different) world go by and getting used to the pace of life.
Day 5: The Amazon - Xixuau Nature Reserve (B/L/D)
After breakfast take a guided canoe excursion through the flooded forest to spot some of the incredible array of wildlife in the Xixuau Nature Reserve. From tapirs and howler monkeys to sloths and brightly coloured butterflies, there are so many creatures to discover here. As you paddle through pools of dappled sunlight and crystal clear waters you’ll be able to enjoy the sights and sounds of this beautifully untouched area in the heart of the vast Amazon.
Day 6: The Amazon - Xixuau Nature Reserve (B/L/D)
After breakfast take a guided walk through the forest with the Xixuau locals. Learn all about rubber tapping and brazil-nut harvesting. Your guide can also show you how to track animals and read the signs of the forest. In the evening take a night canoe excursion along the river to spot caiman.
Day 7: The Amazon - Xixuau Nature Reserve (B/L/D)
After breakfast, head out on an excursion with the local fisherman and enjoy your catch for lunch. The rivers here teem with fish, from rainbow bass and surubim, to aruana and pacu. Pink river dolphins often accompany the canoe trips. In the afternoon set out on a hike into the forest. In the evening set up a night camp with hammocks and mosquito nets. Enjoy dinner and stories under the trees and fall asleep to the sounds of the forest.
Day 8: The Amazon - Xixuau Nature Reserve (B/L/D)
Wake early to the jungle morning chorus, complete with very vocal howler monkeys and the innumerable squawks and shrieks of the jungle birds. After breaking camp, continue your forest hike. A host of beautiful bird species make the reserve a bird watcher’s paradise, and in the shady branches of the towering trees you’ll see toucans, macaws, eagles, parakeets, woodpeckers and more. Arriving back at the lodge you’ll enjoy a last meal with your hosts, and almost certainly some singing and dancing too.
Day 9: Return river boat journey to Manaus (B/L/D)
After bidding goodbye to your hosts you’ll set off late morning on your return journey through the Amazon Rainforest. You’ll spend the day on board enjoying the sights and sounds of the forest.
Day 10: Manaus (B/L/-)
This evening you’ll arrive back in Manaus where you’ll be met at the port and transferred to the city’s airport for your flight home.
- Trip duration: 10 days
- Countries visited: Brazil
Adventure: Accommodation in hostels (always in a private room) and B&Bs, and sometimes in hammocks, rustic cabins or tents. Internal transport is overland rather than by plane wherever possible.
Note: this is a guideline; please refer to the tour detailed description for what is and is not included.
- Level of difficulty: Medium
- Accommodation: 1 night in a hotel in Manaus, 2 nights on-board the river boat in a cabin or hammock, 6 nights in the jungle lodge (private rooms with shared facilities)
- Transport: River boat, canoe
- Meals included: 9 breakfasts, 9 lunches, 8 dinners
Percentage of cost going to local communities:
At least 65%
- Bilingual guide: Available in English, French or Spanish
- Extra services:
You will be greeted at the airport on arrival by a local guide who will take you to your hotel and will be able to answer any questions, make any additional arrangements and generally ensure everything goes smoothly.
No minimum number of passengers required and you will not be travelling with a group of people you do not know. Prices quoted are per person and based on at least 2 people travelling. You should expect a cheaper price for bigger groups.
Your passport is required at time of booking. For information on visa requirements, immunisations and health formalities please visit the FCO Travel Advice Website (for UK citizens) and US Travel Advice website (for US citizens).
You will need a Yellow Fever vaccination for travel to the Amazon.
Information on money changing in each destination, as well as what it is customary to tip for various services, will be provided.
What to bring: Travel insurance, passport, binoculars, alarm clock, walking shoes, water bottle, daypack, sun protection, insect repellent, sun glasses and hat, swimwear, flip-flops, torch with extra batteries, comfortable light cotton shirts with long and short sleeves, comfortable trousers made of cotton or a light synthetic material (bring at least two sets of light clothes which can be washed and dried easily), shorts, rain coat, plastic ziplock bags, plastic bags for your luggage in case of rain.
- Best time to travel: All year round
- Extra budget recommended: Around £100 / $150 pp to cover meals and all other expenses not included in the itinerary.
- What is included: Welcome reception at the airport. Transfers (some may be shared) and internal flights. Overland transport. Accommodation. Entrance fees to sites of interest, museums and national parks mentioned in the itinerary. Guided activities and excursions with English speaking guides (some private, some as part of a small group). Meals as stated in the itinerary (B= Breakfast, L= Lunch, D= Dinner). Contributions to the social projects visited. Donation to help in preserving the Amazon rainforest through agro-forestry and education.
- What is not included: Flights from your country of origin. Travel insurance. Alcoholic drinks. Additional meals or snacks. Travel within and around each town. Visa fees (if any). Tips. Souvenirs.
There is no minimum duration and you can include only the activities or destinations you want. To start creating your ideal, tailor-made tour to Brazil, please complete and send this form. One of our Brazil local experts will be in touch shortly:
Into the Jungle – Brazilian Amazon Tour
£ 1,985 GBP
This is one serious adventure, taking you deep into the Amazon Jungle to experience one of the most bio-diverse habitats on the planet. Switch gears completely as you travel from the jungle city of Manaus on a thirty-hour river boat journey down the Rio Negro to a pristine natural reserve. You’ll be staying with the river-dwelling ‘ribeirinho’ people of Xixuau and will discover an incredible array of wildlife, from pink river dolphins and sloths to tiny emerald-green tree frogs, brightly-coloured butterflies and armadillos.