Mystical Chile Tour
Starting out from the capital Santiago, this unforgettable Chile tour has been designed to take you from coastline to mountain-top, taking in a host of stunning sights and experiences along the way. You’ll explore incredible landscapes around the Atacama Desert, as well as Chile’s best known cities and the fascinating marine wildlife of the Pacific.
- Encounter the culture of the Lickan Antay people in the Atacama Desert
- Visit a local fishing community in Chañaral de Aceituno, on the Pacific Coast
- Trek through the Atacama Desert in a traditional caravan with llamas
- Hike through colourful ravines and rock formations in search of mysterious petroglyphs
- Immerse yourself in the modern culture and buzzing night life of Santiago and Valparaiso
- Share delicious traditional meals with the indigenous and rural communities of the north
- Discover the world-renowned Altiplanic lagoons and salt flats of the Atacama
- Let the rays of an unforgettable sunrise warm you at Tatio Mallku, South America’s highest geothermal geyser field
- Go on a stargazing excursion under some of the planet’s clearest skies (optional)
- Visit the Huasco National Park to go whale-watching and see other marine wildlife
This is a private tour and you will be accompanied by an English-speaking local guide during all excursions, and throughout your time in Huasco. The price displayed is per person based on two people sharing. All tours can be tailor-made to suit your interests and requirements.
This mystical Chile eco-tour starts in the beautiful cities of Santiago and Valparaiso, before heading north into the heart of the Atacama Desert. You will discover the cultures, landscapes and history of the Atacama Desert and the coastal Huasco region, and experience life within traditional and indigenous communities.
In the Atacama Desert you’ll stargaze at the clearest skies in the world, listen to ancient stories and legends, photograph flamingos flying thousands of meters above sea level, and hike through deep ravines. You will visit the stark salt flats of Atacama and experience breath-taking landscapes, beautiful sunsets and star-filled skies. Walking with the llamas you’ll accompany a timeless ancestral caravan through the desert, and take part in traditional activities with the Lickan Antay people – the ancestral inhabitants of the desert.
You will then travel onwards into the fertile Huasco Coast to stay at the Chañaral de Aceituno fishing community, where you can sample delicious seafood, discover delicious gastronomy and dine on tasty fresh ceviche. You’ll then take a whale-watching excursion from Chañaral Island, as well as being introduced to the colourful vegetation of Llanos del Challe National Park.
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/sumaktra/public_html/wp-content/themes/sumak-new/functions.php on line 455
- Trip duration: 15 days
- Countries visited: Chile
Medium: Accommodation in B&Bs or 2-star family-run hotels (always in a private room).
Note: this is a guideline; please refer to the tour detailed description for what is and is not included.
- Level of difficulty: Low
- Accommodation: 4 nights in a hotel in Santiago, 2 nights in a hotel in Valparaiso, 5 nights in a B&B in San Pedro de Atacama, 2 nights in a B&B on the Huasco Coast, 1 overnight bus journey.
- Transport: Internal flights, bus, private car, boat
- Meals included: 12 breakfasts, 5 lunches
Percentage of cost going to local communities:
At least 40%
- Bilingual guide: Available in English, French or Spanish
- Extra services:
You will be greeted at the airport on arrival by a local guide who will take you to your hotel and will be able to answer any questions, make any additional arrangements and generally ensure everything goes smoothly. No minimum number of passengers required and you will not be travelling with a group of people you do not know. Prices quoted are per person and based on at least 2 people travelling. You should expect a cheaper price for bigger groups. Your passport details are required at the time of booking. For detailed information on visa requirements and health formalities, visit the FCO Travel Advice Website and the US Travel Advice Website (direct links to Chile page).Information on money changing in each destination, as well as what it is customary to tip for various services, will be provided. This tour of Chile, like most of our adventures through Latin America, has a low level of physical difficulty and participants can choose to do as much or as little as they like. If you have any concerns or require special arrangements please call or email us to discuss. What to bring: Travel insurance, passport, binoculars, alarm clock, walking shoes, water bottle, daypack, sun protection, insect repellent, sun glasses and hat, swimwear, flip-flops, torch with extra batteries, wind and waterproof jacket, warm clothes to layer, warm socks, fleece, hat, gloves, scarf, comfortable light cotton shirts with long and short sleeves, comfortable trousers made of cotton or a light synthetic material (bring at least two sets of light clothes which can be washed and dried easily), shorts, rain coat.
- Best time to travel: September - April
- Extra budget recommended: Around £200 / $250 pp to cover meals and all other expenses not included in the itinerary.
- What is included: Welcome reception at the airport. Transfers (some may be shared) and internal flights. Overland transport. Accommodation. Entrance fees to sites of interest, museums and national parks mentioned in the itinerary. Guided activities and excursions with English speaking guides (some private, some as part of a small group). Meals as stated in the itinerary (B= Breakfast, L= Lunch, D= Dinner). Contributions to the social projects visited. Donation to help in preserving the Amazon rainforest through agro-forestry and education.
- What is not included: Flights from your country of origin. Travel insurance. Alcoholic drinks. Additional meals or snacks. Travel within and around each town. Visa fees (if any). Tips. Souvenirs.
Mystical Chile Tour
£ 2,520 GBP
Experience everything from breathtaking landscapes, beautiful sunsets and star-filled skies to ancient storytelling, extraordinary wildlife and rich Andean culture and gastronomy. This eco-tour to Chile takes you into the heart of the Atacama Desert, after having explored the diverse neighbourhoods and charms of Santiago and Valparaiso. You will visit the incredible landscapes of the Atacama region and discover the desert-dwelling culture of the Lickan Antay people.