The Undiscovered Colombia Adventure
This Colombia adventure is for intrepid travellers fired up with at least a little bit of the pioneer spirit. It is for people in love with nature, culture, adventure, and the road less travelled. You’ll start by visiting the capital city, Bogota, before traveling south to the Colombian Amazon rainforest where you’ll experience the present-day life of its indigenous people and discover its wildlife and habitats. Next you’ll fly up to the Caribbean coast and embark on a challenging five-day trek to the fabled Lost City, hidden deep in the jungle. Finally, you’ll get a chance to unwind in Cartagena, the undisputed queen of the Caribbean.
- Discover the modern multicultural city of Bogotá
- Experience fascinating indigenous Amazonian rituals
- Camp on a breathtaking tree-top platform in the middle of the Amazon Rainforest
- Kayak along the Yahaurcaca creek enjoying the sights and sounds of the Amazon
- Go on an evening river expedition to see rainforest wildlife, such as caiman, monkeys and sloth
- Walk through the Sierra Nevada on a five-day hike amidst stunning landscapes
- Climb the 1200 stone steps to the remote and mysterious Lost City
- Unwind in the beautiful and relaxed Caribbean city of Cartagena de Indias
This is a private tour and you will be accompanied by an English-speaking local guide during all excursions, and throughout your time in the Amazon and during your Lost City Trek. The price displayed is per person based on two people sharing. All tours can be tailor-made to suit your interests and requirements.
To find out more about hiking to the Lost City, read The Guardian article Colombia’s Lost City: Lore of the Jungle.
After your hike you’ll spend a couple of days relaxing in the Caribbean cities of Santa Marta and Cartagena de Indias, a beautiful UNESCO World Heritage Site, before heading back to Bogota for your return flight home, or perhaps another adventure!
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/sumaktra/public_html/wp-content/themes/sumak-new/functions.php on line 455
- Trip duration: 15 days
- Countries visited: Colombia
Adventure: Accommodation in hostels (always in a private room) and B&Bs, and sometimes in hammocks, rustic cabins or tents. Internal transport is overland rather than by plane wherever possible.
Note: this is a guideline; please refer to the tour detailed description for what is and is not included.
- Level of difficulty: Medium
- Accommodation: 3 nights in a hotel in Bogota, 3 nights in hammocks / tree houses / bunk beds in the Amazon, 2 nights in a hotel in Santa Marta, 4 nights in hammocks / bunk beds on the Lost City trek and 2 nights in a hotel in Cartagena.
- Transport: Internal flights, mini-van, bus, private car, boat
- Meals included: 14 breakfasts, 8 lunches, 8 dinners
Percentage of cost going to local communities:
At least 35%
- Bilingual guide: Available in English, French or Spanish
- Extra services:
- Additional information: You will be greeted at the airport on arrival by a local guide who will take you to your hotel and will be able to answer any questions, make any additional arrangements and generally ensure everything goes smoothly. No minimum number of passengers required and you will not be travelling with a group of people you do not know. Prices quoted are per person and based on at least 2 people travelling. You should expect a cheaper price for bigger groups. Your passport is required at time of booking. For information on visa requirements and health formalities please visit the FCO Travel Advice Website or the US Travel Advice Website (direct links to Colombia page). You will need a Yellow Fever vaccination for travel to the Amazon. Information on money changing in each destination, as well as what it is customary to tip for various services, will be provided. This tour of Colombia has a medium level of physical difficulty overall, and includes several days of hiking and camping. Some people find the Lost City Trek quite challenging. If you have any concerns or require special arrangements please call or email us to discuss. What to bring: Travel insurance, passport, binoculars, alarm clock, walking shoes, water bottle, daypack, sun protection, insect repellent, sun glasses and hat, swimwear, flip-flops, torch with extra batteries, head-lamp, travel towel, water bottle, water purification tablets, comfortable light cotton shirts with long and short sleeves, comfortable trousers made of cotton or a light synthetic material (bring at least two sets of light clothes which can be washed and dried easily), shorts, rain coat, plastic ziplock bags, plastic bags for your luggage in case of rain.
- Best time to travel: All year round
- Extra budget recommended: Around £200 / $250 pp to cover meals and all other expenses not included in the itinerary.
- What is included: Welcome reception at the airport. Transfers (some may be shared) and internal flights. Overland transport. Accommodation. Entrance fees to sites of interest, museums and national parks mentioned in the itinerary. Guided activities and excursions with English speaking guides (some private, some as part of a small group). Meals as stated in the itinerary (B= Breakfast, L= Lunch, D= Dinner). Contributions to the social projects visited. Donation to help in preserving the Amazon rainforest through agro-forestry and education.
- What is not included: Flights from your country of origin. Travel insurance. Alcoholic drinks. Additional meals or snacks. Travel within and around each town. Visa fees (if any). Tips. Souvenirs.
The Undiscovered Colombia Adventure
£ 1,995 GBP
Colombia is an intriguing mixture of modern cities and remote wilderness, and on this adventure you’ll experience them both. First up you’ll explore the multicultural city of Bogota, before heading north to the Caribbean coast and plunging into the jungle for a challenging five-day hike to the Lost City. From there it’s on to the Amazon Rainforest, on the border with Peru and Brazil, to discover its fascinating habitat, wildlife and indigenous people.